Thursday, August 11, 2011

Florence

Florence--or Firenze as they spell it in Italian.  Which makes me wonder...how did we come up with the English word Florence from the Italian word Firenze?  I guess it could sound the same if you say it real fast. :)

On the train ride to Florence, we saw tons of sunflowers


We visited El Duomo





And got to climb up the stairs of the bell tower -- 414 of them
(talk about burn!)


The beautiful view from the top of the bell tower





More of the beautiful exterior...



We got to eat at a little cafe across the street from the church


Dad said there used to be replica statues here of the famous David statue, but they must have been moved.

There was this cool shop that had all kinds of pastas, oils, and wines. I wanted to get some of the pasta but I didn't think it would survive the plane ride back.  So I got some olive oil in a jar the shape of Italy's boot instead.

No comments: